2.03.2008

Visitors

How would you like to find these cute critters lounging around your front yard? I think it would be just fine.


Lauri writes:
"These two were sleeping just below the house today, and Greg thought the calf looked odd. Close up revealed he had started to grow one nub of an antler above his eye!"

Not to worry, he's fine. He's just a bit odd. Aren't we all?

I remember the first trip I took to Kasilof. I stayed with friends of Lauri's and slept in their living room, which had a huge picture window looking out over the Kasilof River. One morning as I was stretching and wishing for a cup of strong coffee, a bear sauntered through the yard and down to the river. My mouth was hanging open and my brain was trying hard to comprehend what I'd seen. This was no zoo. That bear was not in some well-designed enclosure. That sucker was right outside. Since nobody else seemed too awfully concerned, I didn't make a big deal about it. Alaska's funny that way.

No comments: