6.15.2008

Spring Tidepooling on the Island

Lauri writes on June 10th:
"Greg and I just spent a peaceful 12 days on the island, and every day was a low tide for tidepooling and seeing wonderous sea stars. Our neighbor, Nancy, was with us this day and loved all the colors and the fun brittle stars that are only seen at very low tides. And then, the weird and unusual " helmet' crab."

I find these sights amazing. I cannot imagine strolling along the beach and coming across something so beautiful AND so alien. (If you want to get a good look at any of these seastars, click on the image -- it'll get bigger.)

2 comments:

Slayde said...

Wow. I first saw one of those huge sea stars last summer off Vancouver Island - everyone was pretty shocked when we pulled it up in one of the crab pots! In person, it looked pretty monstrous, but I love the picture here. It is both cool looking and otherworldly weird.

Friend said...

Hey Slayde, I didn't know you were on Vancouver Island. Huh.
Yes, these star fishes are truly alien looking and very beautiful.