1.26.2008

The sewing room

Lauri sent me this picture this morning and mentioned that the sewing room door is kept closed at night -- helps keep the heat in the rest of the house. The temperature in the sewing room this morning was -15 degrees. (Turns out it was -15 outside, 32 degrees in the sewing room.) She said she'd wait an hour or so before getting to "work." It's not work for her, it's fun.

A few weeks ago she was thinking about Valentine's gifts and had a bit of a romp in the sewing room making these. I actually received one the other day. It's beautiful.

Lauri writes:
"The birds of paradise wall hanging was a seriously difficult piece and I have it here in this room, so I get to look at it 100 times a day, and you will too, when you come and stay with us!"

Yes, Lauri is an extremely gifted quilter.

She writes: "I really do have more fun with sewing projects than anyone I know!! This was started last week, and now is in the 5 inch block stage. Now to put them all together, and some borders! Yippee. (Greg caught me, climbing on anything within reach.....)"

This is the very special Hearts quilt she made in memory of her father. She spent a year working on it, comforting herself and healing from the deep grief and loss.

Lauri writes:
"My favorite is Stars in my Eyes, the one that finally won me the Grand Champion ribbon at the state fair, after years and years and years of red and blue ribbons; not putting them down, mind you, just always strove for the purple one!"

Ahh, a good day's work. Time for a cup of tea and maybe a catnap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. just beautiful

Anonymous said...

Whooops. Well, I meant to say that it was minus 15 OUTside. In the sewing room it probably was only 32, as the water hadn't frozen in the iron yet!

Anonymous said...

uncle, yes, truly beautiful

lauri, i changed the temp thing. your quilts are extraordinary. i love the one that i own.