1.01.2008

Yum!

Lauri can bake. Well, bake and cook and make pasta and smoke salmon and put up the summer harvest. It's in her DNA. She can make your mouth water from 3 miles away. Her upbringing was very much about food and its correct arrangement. What she doesn't know, isn't worth knowing. I've eaten the best meals ever in her kitchen. The first year she lived in Alaska, I went up for the summer to help build her house. She was living in a trailer the size of my laundry room next to the building site on her 5 acres. The pilings were already done when I got there and the floor joists were hung. The trees that made the walls of the cabin came from Lauri's land and some she bought. I sat for days scraping the bark off the logs. It was incredible to watch this construction. In Alaska, construction can only be done for about 3 months -- after the summer, forget about it, it's simply not going to happen. Needless to say, her cabin site was a flurry of activity. But there was always, always, always a fabulous dinner. It didn't hurt that there was so much fresh salmon and halibut around. And she didn't have this great kitchen, the evening meal was done on a barbecue or in her wok. I remember one time she stir fried some pork that had been marinading in beer and then, at the very end, she added fresh peaches. Yum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those cookies look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Lauri is every bit as incredible as Cathy declared and more . . . there should be an entire website devoted to her amazing quilts! There isn't enough space and time to rave about her beautiful photographs!

I witnessed Lauri and Greg’s remarkable life in AK when my son, Sayer and I visited for 10 days over the 2003 summer solstice ~ they truly live a bucolic lifestyle. Lauri is my cousin; a few years older than me, and many moons wiser. I am continually in awe of her creativity, tenacity and her generous spirit. I feel blessed that she is a part of my life and I am proud to call her family.

Friend said...

Darris, thank you so much for visiting. I hope you'll drop by often, have a cup of coffee with me and Lauri. You're fortunate to have her in your family -- you have some good genes there.

I had to look up 'bucolic.' I thought it meant something like 'having heartburn.' Silly me.

Thanks again.